Coastal Star Romaine
- Growing Season: Year Round (in mild climates)
- Harvest Method: Grazing method, cut and come again, start harvesting as soon as there are 5 mature leaves (4-5" long)
- First Harvest: 2-4 weeks from initial planting (2 weeks during peak growing seasons, 4 weeks during cold winter months)
- Final Harvest: 5-8 weeks
- Best Planted Wall Placement: Any level
We grow with the seasons! So in most climates, you will be able to grow year round. Typically most lettuce can handle the cooler temperatures and tend to look for the shade in the hotter temperatures.
You want to be aware of the extreme temperature ranges in your region. If you follow the guidelines below, you will be safe:
- If you live in a location where the temperatures dip below freezing, then you will want to wait until night temperatures are in the 40's consistently.
- On the occasional dips into the 30's, you can cover with a sheet or bring them indoors for that time period. The breeze is good for plants and helps to keep bugs at bay so growing outdoors is optimal.
- If you live where it reaches above 90 degrees consistently, you'll want to grow heat tolerant fruiting plants (tomatoes and peppers) and herbs (basil, mint, rosemary) primarily.
To find out what extreme temperatures your location experiences, check out the USDA zone for your region.
We ship seedlings directly from our certified organic grower during specific weeks each month to ensure the we are delivering seedlings at the peak of freshness and prime for transplanting.
Don't worry we tend to over-communicate the details when it comes to logistics. You'll know when orders (both seedlings and other garden products) are shipped.