The Happy Food Chef Robin Joy is our resident chef at Planted Places. She specializes in vegetarian, vegan and raw food preparation.
Step into a world of warmth and comfort with our Winter Warming Soup blog. Embrace the heartwarming essence of this soul-soothing delight—a blend of flavors, nourishing ingredients, and aromatic spices that celebrate the season. From classic favorites to innovative twists, join us on a culinary journey that brings cozy bliss to your table. Wrap yourself in comfort, grab a spoon, and savor the joy of winter with every comforting sip of our Winter Warming Soup recipe.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 kale leaves, thinly sliced
4 – 6 Bok Choy leaves, thinly sliced
A few cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon grated turmeric and ginger
Optional spice blend:
⅛ teaspoon ground cumin &/or smoked paprika
½ teaspoon chili flake
Salt & pepper
- Warm coconut oil in a large pot.
- Saute onions until they soften then add garlic, and cook another minute.
- Toast optional spice blend then add to pot.
- Toss in celery and mushrooms and cook to wilt.
- Add ginger and turmeric.
- Add a few cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer until desired.
- Add Bok Choy and kale to wilt and serve warm.
- drizzle soy sauce and sesame oil
- top with finely chopped parsley, cilantro, scallions & sesame seeds
Turmeric & Ginger Tea
- Use the peelings from the ginger and turmeric to make a nice tea. Steep in boiling water for a few minutes. Then enjoy!
Aromatic Base: Start by sautéing onions and garlic in warm coconut oil. This flavorful foundation enhances the overall taste of the winter warming soup.
Spice Blend: Consider toasting an optional spice blend separately before adding it to the pot. This step intensifies the spices' flavors, adding depth and complexity to the soup.
Layered Ingredients: Gradually add celery, mushrooms, ginger, and turmeric to build layers of taste and texture. Each ingredient contributes to the overall heartiness of the soup.
Simmering to Perfection: Allow the soup to simmer at a gentle heat until it reaches the desired consistency and flavors meld harmoniously. This slow-cooking process enhances the richness and depth of the soup.
Garnish and Enjoy: Drizzle soy sauce and sesame oil over the finished soup. Top it with finely chopped parsley, cilantro, scallions, and sesame seeds for a burst of freshness and added visual appeal. Serve the winter warming soup warm and enjoy its comforting flavors. Additionally, utilize the ginger and turmeric peelings to create a delightful turmeric & ginger tea—waste not, enjoy it all!
Compost the rest!